Friday, July 31, 2009

5-a-Days



Since I have been incredibly lax in updating my blog & want to get back into it, I thought I would do some "5-a-Days" this week. Each day I'll list 5 books on a particular topic; feel free to comment on them. Full disclosure: contrary to popular belief I don't consider myself well-read so you won't see many "classics" on these lists.

This 1st one for sure I know some people will disagree with!

5 books that I think are overrated
  • The Harry Potter series -- don't get me wrong, the storylines are great, and it's wonderful that they have really gotten kids reading, but they are overly long. And I personally much prefer Ron to Harry; I find Harry to be self-centered & bratty, actually. Sacrilege, I know! :)
  • The Lovely Bones -- After a 14-yr-old is kidnapped & murdered by a neighbor, she follows the lives of her family from Heaven. Granted, this was an interesting story, it just didn't move me like it did a lot of people. Also, there's a scene towards the end that I found totally unbelievable.
  • Catcher in the Rye -- OK, I haven't actually read this, but Heather has, and from her take & the reviews I've read, I think it's probably overrated. I guess I better read it to find out for sure, though.
  • Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, A Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson -- I read this and I have no recollection of what life's greatest lesson is so apparently it didn't affect me too much!
  • Junie B. Jones series -- It seems you either love these or hate them. I personally don't get the appeal; they are supposed to be funny but I just don't get what's "funny" about bad grammar, horrible spelling, calling people stupid, etc.

No comments: