Friday, July 31, 2009

Apples & Pumpkins


Looking for some outstanding fall books for children? Here are a couple I recently read & enjoyed:

Pumpkin Soup by Helen Cooper
In this beautifully illustrated tale, Cat, Squirrel, and Duck discover the ups and downs of friendship and sharing, and what really makes pumpkin soup taste so good.

Johnny Appleseed by Carol Ottolenghi
When I worked in the public library, each September we would dutifully pull the apple books off the shelves to display; I don't know if I ever actually read the ones about Johnny Appleseed, but I recently found this version and found it very interesting. For example, did you know that John Chapman aka Johnny Appleseed was a vegetarian? Or that a law said that every family on the new frontier had to plant 50 apple trees on their homestead? This is one reason I love kids' books...you can learn a lot of great information in a short amount of time, even if you're not a kid anymore!

No comments: