Friday, July 31, 2009

Will's "Easter" Books



Working in a university library, I'm not up on children's books like I used to be. Recently though I stopped in at a children's bookstore, looking for Easter presents for my nephew William. I've blogged about Will's love of books before, and I thought some new books would be a nice little addition to his Easter basket. I ended up buying the above 3 books for him, and I just love them; I hope he does too!
A little about them:
Little Quack's New Friend by Lauren Thompson

This is the 4th entry in the "Little Quack" series; I can't remember if I've seen any of the others, but I love this one, primarily because it has a frog in it. Other things I like about it are the bright, cheery colors, and the sound effects ("plunka, splunka"). In this story, Little Quack meets Little Ribbit, who wants to play. Little Quack's siblings determine the frog is "too little" and "too green" to play with, but soon join in as they see how much fun Ribbit & Quack have together. Besides being a cute, fun story, it has a beautiful message of friendship and acceptance as the ducks learn that just because someone looks a little different from them, they can still have lots in common.

Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! by Mo Willems

What can I say....I love the pigeon! Will literally cheers when I bring out a pigeon book, so I thought I'd better get him a new one. In this one, the bus driver asks us to make sure the pigeon doesn't stay up late. Of course, the pigeon comes up with all kinds of reasons & excuses why he should get to stay up, including there being a very educational show on TV about birds. School Library Journal had this to say about the illustrations of the books: "set against comfortably faded pastel backgrounds, the cartoon artwork focuses tightly on the main character, with his comments presented in dialogue balloons. The black-crayon lines speak volumes, as the pigeon's body language and the positioning of his ever-expressive eye humorously convey each nuance of the text." If you're looking for a funny book to read to a child, seek out a pigeon book today!

The Small Seed by Judith Nicholls (Little Scholastic)
This 1st nature book has rhyming text and realistic textures which children can feel as the seed grows roots, develops into a shoot, a stem, and finally a beautiful flower as the last page is folded out. The Little Scholastic series is "a developmental publishing program of interactive books created exclusively to give babies and toddlers a head start in learning". I'll have to seek out more of these because it looks like a wonderful new series. When I first picked this book out, I wondered if it would be too "old" for Will, and something he wouldn't really be interested in. But then I saw him at my parent's house, and what is the first thing he did? Showed me ALL of the new plants that grandma and he planted, and how they're all growing. So I think he may just like the seed book after all!

No comments: