Friday, July 31, 2009

The Poetry of Langston Hughes


from Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Today as I was searching the stacks for a class instruction session, I came across this 16 vol. set of the works of Langston Hughes. Hughes was one of the most important writers of the Harlem Renaissance; through his poetry, novels, plays, essays, and children's books, he promoted equality, condemned racism and injustice, and celebrated African American culture, humor, and spirituality. As I paged through this volume, some of the poems seemed to leap off the page at me and seemed fitting to share at this important juncture in our history. I encourage you to seek out some of his writings for yourself!



Children's Rhymes
By what sends the white kids
I ain't sent:
I know I can't be President.
What don't bug them white kids
sure bugs me:
We know everybody ain't free.
Lies written down for white folks
ain't for us a-tall:
Liberty and Justice--
Huh!--For All?


Words Like Freedom
There are words like Freedom
Sweet and wonderful to say.
On my heartstrings freedom sings
All day everyday.
There are words like Liberty
That almost make me cry.
If you had known what I know
You would know why.

To You
To sit and dream, to sit and read,
To sit and learn about the world
Outside our world of here and now--
our problem world--
To dream of vast horizons of the soul
Through dreams made whole,
Unfettered free--help me!
All you who are dreamers, too,
Help me make our world anew.
I reach out my hands to you.


--from Rampersad, A (Ed.). (2001). The collected works of Langston Hughes. Columbia, MO: University of Missouri Press

No comments: